Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chopped

Yesterday I did not feel like leaving my house, the fridge looked empty. As I was determined not to go to the store, I knew I had to cook. The inventory was as follows: red potatoes, shallots, beets, tomato and carrots.

I boiled the red potatoes and let them cool and dry out a bit. I cooked down the shallots and carrots for a long time over low heat with olive oil and I added the following spices: curry, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, turmeric, Nigerian cayenne, salt and crushed black pepper. I diced the potatoes and added them, wih some olive oil, bit by bit to the vegetable curry mixture. I added water. In the rice maker, Richie mixed black long grain rice, brown rice, and tri colored orzo. The curry was served over the rice mixture and garnished with cold, chopped tomato splashed with a little Umeboshi.

I left the skins on the potato and it made the pure vegetable dish look meaty. The carrots were still hard enough to be a little crunchy, I cut the scallions long so they were like noodles,and the diced potatoes were whole and not disinegrated so the mixture was not pure mush. It was sweet, salty, rich and hearty. Richie took some to work today.

We saved the rest of the carrots and the beet for tonight's dinner. We'll steam them and eat them with the wild rice mix. YUM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home